ST Dupont Paris is a brand name and manufacturer of lighters, collectible pens, handbags, perfumes, cigarette (made by Philip Morris International), and recently other gadgets using the trademark diamond-head pattern. The company has been producing luxury items since 1872 when founded by Simon Tissot Dupont.
Simon Tissot founded a carriage company which was destroyed in a fire in 1872. The same year he bought a workshop which made leather briefcases for diplomats and businessman. In 1884, Simon Tissot Dupont became the supplier to one of the world’s largest shops – Les Grands Magasins du Louvre – while maintaining his private clientele.
Simon Tissot Dupont handed over his company to his sons in 1919, Lucien and Andre, who, trading under the name of Les Fils de S.T. Dupont (the Sons of S.T. Dupont) relaunched the activity. The activity was focused on high quality travel cases and accessories. Highly qualified craftsmen were employed and patents were taken out to protect industrial secrets. Two hundred and fifty workers and 17 separate traders were involved in the manufacture, including goldsmiths, woodworkers, engravers, leather craftsmen, lacquer workers, locksmiths. S.T. Dupont transferred its workshops from rue Dieu in Paris back to the family’s hometown of Faverges in Savoy in 1924.